Thursday, May 5, 2016

Destination Unknown. A little road trip in the making.


My new project, a bargain basement hybrid for a budget bike tour.
In recent weeks I've had my eye on bargain basement hybrid bike for commuting, during which time a spark of an idea has been forming in my mind.
Given that I've had to defer my Tour Divide attempt until another time I've been musing over other adventures.
I'm also embarking on a little side project that I am tentatively calling #DestinationUnknown (or maybe #NewHorizons) in which I'm trying to encourage the ordinary holidaymaker to embrace independent travel and try a little adventure of their own.

As a consequence of that I have bought said bike with the idea to show that it's perfectly possible to do a budget bicycle tour on a £200 (ish) bike, and to share the planning and the journey with you.


So let's have a look at the bicycle.
It is a Vitus Dee 290 City Bike (2015 model) which I purchased from online retailer Chain Reaction Cycles (see here). Vitus is one of their in-house brands.
It's a simple affair with an Aluminium frame and a rigid chromoly fork. It comes with 29" wheels (Ideal for munching away the miles) and, simplicity itself, a singlespeed drivetrain (ie only one gear). It appears nicely finished off with Vitus' own-brand components and a set of Promax mechanical disc brakes. They also offer two higher spec' models, one with 3-speed hub gearing (The 2016 VR model - £359.99) and a 16-speed derailleur set up (The 2016 VRS - £386.99). It is well suited to a few component upgrades in the future as the stock parts wear out.
And the price for all of this technology? 
The original retail price was £324.99 but with a current 30% discount offer and a £10 clearance voucher it came in at the princely sum of £217.99 with free delivery. In the next few months we'll find out together if it is value for money or a dog's dinner.

It has useful pannier rack mounts but I'll be paring it up with the robust and reliable Alpkit Bikepacking Luggage (because I already own it and I prefer it). I'll come up with a suitable packing list and helpful hints at a later date.

I just need to decide where and when?
All being well it will be in early September, just out of high-season, and still pleasant enough in The UK and Northern Europe to get away without winter paraphernalia. I might do a UK trip or I might do a Euro trip. Available time, weather, and costs, will dictate my final choice nearer to the time.


Saddle up and join the ride :)



It may be cheap and cheerful but I like it, it's a nice looking bike :)

You can also follow the journey here:


Thank you for looking.
Please don't forget to Like, Share, and Comment, if you enjoyed it :)





No comments:

Post a Comment