Thursday, August 17, 2017

Review: Osprey Stratos 34


I've been using and recommending an Osprey Atmos 35 litre rucksack for quite a long time; and with very good reason - It's the best pack I have used for travelling, full-stop.
Osprey have now discontinued the Atmos in its 35 litre guise and so I contacted them last year to discuss an up to date alternative. The Stratos 34 looked to fit the bill nicely.
To be honest it is virtually identical to the Atmos, which is a good start. 
If I am to replace my trusted Atmos it will need to be good.

Put simply it's a 34 litre zip accessed hiking/backpacking rucksack.
Osprey have made one or two improvements too. It now has a built in (and detachable) raincover, an adjustable back system, and a stuff/stash/wet gear pocket at the bottom that can be accessed externally, or if left unused it allows you to utilise the entire internal pack volume from the main half-zippered access, it's a really useful touch. Plus it has the usual features such as ice axe/walking pole attachments, external sleeping bag/tent straps, expandable pockets, key clips, whistle etc.
I'm not going to go over every feature, you can view those on the Osprey website here

The new Stratos 34

I've used my pack extensively already; 11 weeks in Nepal (including a 2 week backcountry bikepacking adventure), regularly whilst working away from home for 4 months, and a month long trip to Sri Lanka, so I have definitely got a feel for it. It has been exposed to a good variety of conditions.
It is comfortable, well, balanced, and robust.
There is an unobtrusive space between the harness and the pack designed to take an hydration bladder, although I haven't yet used this feature.
It has a great adjustable back/harness system with the ever dependable and secure Osprey clips/webbing etc. The Airspeed ventilated back system works. The half-zippered access gives great...well... access, without the need to pull everything else out.
Size wise it should keep within the carry-on limits set by most airlines.
In fact everything works. It oozes Osprey quality.
In short, it ticks all the boxes. I don't really need to go on.
If you are looking for a short-haul/carry-on pack this it. 
If you are looking for hiking pack this is it.
If you are looking for a trekking/mountain pack this it.
If, like me, you are also looking for a compact pack that can used for long haul world travel then this is it. I love it.
I expect to get many years of trouble free use.
The King is dead, long live The King.

5 star company. 5 star product. 5 star thumbs up from me.

On a very remote bikepacking trip in western Nepal (and below).

No one for miles.
  
I used it to carry my bike over a 5000m pass in Nepal.

Thorong La at 5416m in the Himalaya.

You can follow Osprey here:

You can also follow Chase The Rainbow here:


Thank you for looking, see you soon.
Please don't forget to Like, Share, and Comment, if you enjoyed it :)

Consume less, live more. Plant more trees.


No comments:

Post a Comment